Apart from being the highest building in Western Europe and in the whole of UK, the Shard has many other features that deserve your attention. So we decided to gather some of the most worth knowing facts about this new gem of London skyline.
- As Green As It Can Be – the skyscraper is almost as green as our eco cleaning solutions with 95% of the construction materials being recycled and 20% of the steelwork being from recycled sources.
- Windows, windows, windows – the building’s iconic look is shining on those sunny days thanks to 11,000 glass panels that cover it from top to bottom. Just think for a second and try making a guess on how long it might take to clean it.
- Smart Windows – blinds on the Shard intelligently adjust to the position of the sun, temperature outside and inside to protect visitors and property inside from sunburns and other related damage. We all know where it’s all going, right?
- Energy-Efficient Windows – blinds are not always the best option – they block the magnificent views after all. So developers used latest window energy-efficiency techniques and combined them. In this way, the sun is tricked by the triple-glazed glass, with a layer of special sun shielding glass in-between the inner and outer planes.
- Nature-friendly? – During the construction works of the tower, a fox somehow got in and climbed some of the 2907 steps (306 stair flights) to the very top, where it survived on workers leftovers. Could it be that the Shard is that friendly it attracts animals? Who knows. But the fox became an unofficial symbol of the skyscraper.
These are the facts you probably did not know about the highest building in the UK. We hope you enjoyed them. And if you did, please share with your friends.
Have a great week!